Aims & Scope
The Butler University Botanical Studies journal was published by the Botany Department of Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana, from 1929 to 1964. The scientific journal featured original papers primarily on plant ecology, taxonomy, and microbiology. The papers contain valuable historical studies, especially floristic surveys that document Indiana's vegetation in past decades. Authors were Butler faculty, current and former master's degree students and undergraduates, and other Indiana botanists. The journal was started by Stanley Cain, noted conservation biologist, and edited through most of its years of production by Ray C. Friesner, Butler's first botanist and founder of the department in 1919. The journal was distributed to learned societies and libraries through exchange.
During the years of the journal's publication, the Butler University Botany Department had an active program of research and student training. 201 bachelor's degrees and 75 master's degrees in Botany were conferred during this period. Thirty-five of these graduates went on to earn doctorates at other institutions.
The Botany Department attracted many notable faculty members and students. Distinguished faculty, in addition to Cain and Friesner , included John E. Potzger, a forest ecologist and palynologist, Willard Nelson Clute, co-founder of the American Fern Society, Marion T. Hall, former director of the Morton Arboretum, C. Mervin Palmer, Rex Webster, and John Pelton. Some of the former undergraduate and master's students who made active contributions to the fields of botany and ecology include Dwight. W. Billings, Fay Kenoyer Daily, William A. Daily, Rexford Daudenmire, Francis Hueber, Frank McCormick, Scott McCoy, Robert Petty, Potzger, Helene Starcs, and Theodore Sperry. Cain, Daubenmire, Potzger, and Billings served as Presidents of the Ecological Society of America.
Requests for use of materials, especially figures and tables for use in ecology text books, from the Butler University Botanical Studies continue to be granted. For more information, visit www.butler.edu/herbarium.