Article Title

Long Word Weaves


Rex Gooch


Word weaves were introduced by Steven Kahan in the Feb 2005 Word Ways. When the letters in the odd positions of a word appear alphabetized, we say that the word is odd-ascending and when these letters appear reverse alphabetized, we call the word odd-descending; even-ascending and even-descending are defined similarly. A word in which both the odd letters and the even letters are either ascendant or descendent is called a word weave. Here is a selection of such words of nine or more letters; all are to be found somewhere in the OED or Webster 2 except where noted.