In 1949, the G. & C. Merriam Company, then publishing the Second Edition of Webster's New International Dictionary of the English Language, issued a new publication, Webster's Geographical Dictionary. It was, on the surface, both a companion volume to Webster's Biographical Dictionary, first published in 1943, and an expansion of the Gazetteer in the unabridged dictionary, a section that then embraced only 30,000 names, compared with about 40,000 in the new and independent reference work.
Quincunx, Ramona J.
"A New Reference,"
Word Ways: Vol. 8
, Article 4.
Available at: https://digitalcommons.butler.edu/wordways/vol8/iss3/4