About This Journal
The Butler University Botanical Studies journal was published by the Botany Department of Butler University, Indianapolis, Indiana, from 1929 to 1964. The scientific journal featured original papers primarily on plant ecology, taxonomy, and microbiology. The papers contain valuable historical studies, especially floristic surveys that document Indiana’s vegetation in past decades. Authors were Butler faculty (notably Stanley Cain, Ray C. Friesner, Willard Nelson Clute, Marion T. Hall, C. Mervin Palmer, Rex Webster and John Pelton), current and former master’s degree students and undergraduates (notably Dwight. W. Billings, Fay Kenoyer Daily, William A. Daily, Rexford Daudenmire, Francis Hueber, Frank McCormick, Scott McCoy, Robert Petty, Potzger, Helene Starcs, and Theodore Sperry), and other Indiana botanists. The journal was started by Cain, and edited through most of its years of production by Friesner. It was distributed to learned societies and libraries through exchange. Requests for use of materials, especially figures and tables for use in ecology text books, from the Butler University Botanical Studies continue to be granted. For more information, visit www.butler.edu/herbarium.