Author / Submission Guidelines
Any current undergraduate or recently graduated student (within previous 12 months) from any institution of higher education may submit an original, scholarly and empirical research paper for review for possible publication in the Butler Journal of Undergraduate Research (BJUR). Since this publication is designed to highlight the research of students, the student or students must be the sole author(s) of the specific research article submitted and their submission must be accompanied by a letter from their college or university instructor/professor recommending the student(s)’ work for publication. Although BJUR will utilize a broad definition of research as reflected by various disciplines in the natural sciences, social sciences, humanities and the arts, the journal does not publish creative writing, journalism, book or literature reviews, poetry, art or other performance-based work. Any manuscripts that do not meet originality requirements or represent scholarly research will be rejected without peer-review. At this time BJUR will accept and publish papers in English only.
Authors must own the copyright to their work and must guarantee that submitted manuscripts have not been published elsewhere, are not currently under review elsewhere, and have been submitted with the full knowledge of their institutional home including any potential co-researchers and faculty mentors. All manuscripts will be reviewed based on intellectual content without regard for age, gender, race/ethnicity, sexual orientation, country of origin, or political philosophy of the authors.
BJUR will publish manuscripts through the university Digital Commons which has the technical capability to host video (or audio) when appropriate as part of research or scholarship. Students are encouraged to publish any video to YouTube as well as archive it in the journal on Digital Commons — the video would be embedded on the page with a copy that could be downloaded from Digital Commons. Contact the editors for further information.
Submitted papers will be reviewed by faculty with general and specialized expertise in the field of study represented by the work. Final decision about whether to publish any paper will be made by the editorial advisory board and by the editors. Their decision is final.
Copyright. Authors retain copyright of their articles. We ask that authors license to BJUR the nonexclusive worldwide right to publish the article in print and electronic form. Reproduction, posting, transmission or other distribution or use of the article or any material therein, in any medium by a personal-use exemption or by a written agreement of author is permitted subject to crediting BJUR as the place of its first publication.
Authors must upload the following via: http://digitalcommons.butler.edu/bjur/
- Author letter affirming intention to submit the article for possible publication as well as statement indicating the paper is original work and is not currently under review elsewhere.
- Research paper WITH abstract AND keywords.
- Letter from college or university faculty member (mentor) familiar with the student(s)’ work, recommending it for publication in BJUR.
- Brief author(s) biography. Author’s university and department affiliation and address should be included as well as the month month/date of graduation or anticipated graduation.
- Papers are to be prepared in MS WORD double-spaced, have 1.25 inch margins all around, and be a maximum of 30 pages in length. Students must consistently adhere to the most recent version of one of the following style formats: APA, ACS, MLA, or Turabian (Chicago NB). All tables, figures, graphs, etc. must be submitted as PDFs.
- Current contact information: name, email, mailing address, and phone number. This information must be continuously updated by emailing the editors (see #7 below) if students change address. If the editors are unable to reach a student due to the lack of an updated address, the student’s work may be rejected for publication.
- Questions or changes in email or address may be directed to the editors at BJUR@butler.edu